Family pictures are great – they help you create and remember fond memories of your loving family. However, this day can get very stressful, and we want to ensure this doesn’t happen. If you’re stressed it will show, and we want your photos to be carefree. Here are some tips you can use on picture day to help you relax:
1. Our session together is to capture some real family moments. Weird kid faces and squirming is part of life and can be fun to see down the road!
2. Laugh. Laughter is a great way to release tension. It will also help your family relax to get some genuine smiles. Have everyone pretend to laugh and they will feel so ridiculous that they will actually laugh. This will ease everyone into relaxation mode.
3. Bribe everyone with candy during the session! No one can be cranky with a yummy treat. Tiny marshmallows and Smarties are perfect for this task. Keep away from melting chocolate and candies that die the mouth.
4. Distract yourself. If your family isn’t cooperating and you are getting stressed, suggest that we play a game or take a walk. This will let some of the energy out and also give us some good interacting photos. Prior to your session, think of a short game that your family would enjoy – it could be something like duck, duck, goose, or dancing to head, shoulders, knees, and toes, etc. You can also distract yourself by going to your ‘happy place.’ Try to take yourself out of the situation you’re in and let your mind wander.
5. Manage your expectations. Just a few images from the session that makes your heart swell is a true success.
6. Give lots of XOXOs. Not only will these make for cute poses, but one of the most effective ways to relieve stress is to hug someone or to kiss them. Gather your family in a big group hug, or give your husband a kiss and let your worries melt away.
“We are making photographs to understand what our lives mean to us.”
— Ralph Hattersley
When I photographed Ella and Michael for the fall portraits, we had plans to photograph on the beach, but not get into the water! LOL. Awesome, flexible mom, Charlene, let them splash for a while and then Michael went way out and had a blast. It was messy, sandy and wet, but boy, it was worth it. These fun memories will always bring the Robinson family back to this sweet time.